L-1 visas are available to employees of an international company with offices in both the United States and abroad. The visa allows such foreign workers to relocate to the corporation’s US office after having worked abroad for the company for at least one continuous year within the previous three prior to admission in the US. The US and non-US employers must be related in one of four ways: parent and subsidiary; branch and headquarters; sister companies owned by a mutual parent; or “affiliates” owned by the same or people in approximately the same percentages.

The L-1 visa has two subcategories:

  • L-1A for executives and managers, valid up to 7 years.
  • L-1B for workers with specialized knowledge, valid up to 5 years

After the expiration of the 7 or 5 years respectively, the foreign national can generally only qualify for L-1 status again by working abroad for at least 1 year for the parent, subsidiary, affiliate or branch office of the U.S. company.

The transferring employee may be accompanied or followed by his or her spouse and unmarried children who are under 21 years of age.  Such family members may seek admission in L-2 nonimmigrant classification and, if approved, generally will be granted the same period of stay as the employee.
Spouses of L-1 workers may work in the U.S. without restrictions.

L-1 Visa Holders may adjust their status using EB1 visa.

Please contact Premier International Law Group if you have any questions regarding this visa.